Splunk Search

Currently logged on username in search

christian_l
Path Finder

Hi there,

I'd like to build individual Dashboards per Splunk-User (LDAP mapped).
As there is a huge number of employes I'd like to build an dynamic dashboard which allows a user to see reports regarding his username.
Is there a way to extract the current username out of the user-session, so he can see only the data regarding his username?
I'd like to put this user-name variable into a search which filters then for the current username.

Is this possible?
Thank you.

Christian

ckurtz
Path Finder

Ayn's answer contains the username, but has a lot of extra information that the user inherits from it's roles.

Try:

| rest /services/authentication/current-context | table username

The result that isn't "splunk-system-user" is the current username.

Ayn
Legend

Yes, you can get the current username by calling the REST endpoint authentication/current-context via the rest command, like this:

| rest /services/authentication/current-context

christian_l
Path Finder

Hi Ayn,

thank you for your answer. As I tested your search my results also include other users. I just want to see the user who's currently doing this search. Can I filter out other users dynamically?

Btw: Will the | rest command need administration capabilities? If so I would need a other way which works for user/power users.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...