Splunk Search

Counting number of occurrences for each value in a multi-valued field

Thuan
Explorer

This is related to my DNS index. I need to search all names that start with wpad and to list all the values found.
I did this using the command

"index=dns* quest_name="wpad* | stats values(quest_name) AS WPAD

An excerpt of the results is shown below

wpad.NGIT.Northgrum.com
wpad.NGMS.Northgrum.com
wpad.Northgrum.com

What I need is to compute the number of times each of the preceding values, say "wpad.NGIT.Northgrum.com", appears in the search. Can it be done using a single search? Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Thuan
Explorer

Having a count for each one of the quest_name values is the 1st step. I now need to compute the percentage of each of the computed quest_name count against the total count of all quest_name.
I can try
index=dns quest_name=wpad* | stats count(quest_name) AS Total count by quest_name AS WPAD
But this does not work.
How can these computations be done with one single search?
Thank you.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

What should be the expected output?

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

You could easily do this

index=dns quest_name=wpad* | stats count by quest_name | rename quest_name as WPAD
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...