Splunk Search

Compare the values from two fields ( one is from a lookup)

ng87
Path Finder

Hi all

Trying to build a query and struggling in "comparing" two fields. 

Essentially this is what i am trying to do 

1) I have logs from our online email service which has the usual details ( time , source ip , email address and source logon country etc )

2) I have a lookup in Splunk with the common Active directory details ( name, title , country etc ) 

What i am trying to do is to get a search to show me the logons where the two Country fields dont match 

ex ( UserA logged on from Germany, his AD Details show the user is based in Germany therefore i dont want to know) 

This is what i have so far : 

index="email"
| lookup adusers Email AS Username OUTPUT DisplayName Title Country
| where "logon country" != "Country"
| table Username "Source IP" "logon country" DisplayName Title Country 

The "Where" statement doesn't , any ideas on how to get this working ( if its possible of course) .

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try logon country in single quotes (as it is a field name) and remove double quotes from Country since it is also a field name (without spaces in)

| where 'logon country' != Country

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try logon country in single quotes (as it is a field name) and remove double quotes from Country since it is also a field name (without spaces in)

| where 'logon country' != Country

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ng87,

di you tried with "search" instead "where"?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

ng87
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello 

Yes i tried the below :

| search "logon country" != "Country"

Didn't work.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...

Get ready to show some Splunk Certification swagger at .conf24!

Dive into the deep end of data by earning a Splunk Certification at .conf24. We're enticing you again this ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...