Splunk Search

Chart using span logs does not show the columns in range order

srenou

Hello,
I am trying to chart some response time and wanted to use the log span as:

index=myIndex "time_value" | chart count by time_ms bins=100 span=2log5

My concern is that Splunk seems to be doing some alphabetical sorting which mixes my span ranges

for example it shows the span in the order of :
0 10-50 1250-6250 250-1250
while I would expect:
0 10-50 250-1250 1250-6250

Thanks for any help.
Stephane

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can fix this after the fact, like this:

| rename 0 AS "   0" "10-50" AS "  10-50" "250-1250" AS " 250-1250"

Note that 0 has been renamed with 3 leading spaces and 10-50 with just two (and so on until 1250-6250 is not renamed at all, so it has 0 spaces).
The whitespace is invisible in the chart but forces the alphabetical order that you desire.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can fix this after the fact, like this:

| rename 0 AS "   0" "10-50" AS "  10-50" "250-1250" AS " 250-1250"

Note that 0 has been renamed with 3 leading spaces and 10-50 with just two (and so on until 1250-6250 is not renamed at all, so it has 0 spaces).
The whitespace is invisible in the chart but forces the alphabetical order that you desire.

0 Karma

srenou

thanks for the proposal, unfortunately that does not seem to work for me as the names are not getting changed with that process. I guess the chart is done before the rename and rename gets no effect. Looking at the splunk sample, http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.0/SearchReference/Chart#9:_Chart_the_average_number_... I am getting a different result as the statistics data are not sorted on my side on my example, so I guess I may have some configuration issue or an invalid release.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If you are running a fileds or table command, the fields may be re-sorted. Try stripping off the commands after the chart command to see where the resorting happens and see if you can use a different command or perhaps that command has a keepcolorder option (some commands do).

0 Karma

srenou

Thanks for the feedback.
unfortunately no. My request is just an index search piped to a chart count by MyCounter span=2log5.

My graph is strangely sorted as well as my statistics as if it is doing alphabetical sorting instead of looking at the ranges.
But that drove me to thinking that I should force the sorting, so adding sort MyCounter that made the trick.
Thanks again.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

So what exactly was your final search?

0 Karma

srenou

My final search is:
index=myIndex "time_value" | chart count by time_ms bins=100 span=2log5 | sort time_ms bins

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You need sort 0, not just sort.

0 Karma

srenou

Thanks for the feedback, strangely in my case the sort with the value is enough.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...