Splunk Search

Anybody knows about {@fieldname} in a join

las
Contributor

Hi.

I have been given a search, that I need some help decifering.

index=atp-aes-prod sourcetype=atp_aes_json SourceContext=RevisionLogger Properties.Url="/api/Document/get-merged-pdf" Properties.IsImpersonated=false | join type=inner CorrelationId [search index=atp-aes-prod SourceContext=ANS.Platform.Application.Commands.Queries.Selfservice.GenerateMergedPdf.GenerateMergedPdfHandler MessageTemplate="User tries to merge*"] | join type=inner CorrelationId [search index=atp-aes-prod SourceContext=ANS.Platform.Integrations.GetOrganized.GoDocumentsService MessageTemplate="Start CombineToPdf method*"] | join type=inner CorrelationId [search index=atp-aes-prod SourceContext=ANS.Platform.Domain.Services.Selfservice.Authorization.SelfServiceAuthorizationService MessageTemplate="SelfServiceAuthorizationService took {@elapsedMilliseconds} ms to be constructed for part {@partId}."] | table Properties.Url, Timestamp, Properties.CompanyName, Properties.partId, Properties.documents

It does not run on our system and never will, I think it was developed by somebody versed in relational databases. I'm trying to rewrite this search, but I'm slightly baffled by the {@elapsedMilliseconds} and {@partId}.

Does anybody know what they are doing?

Kind regards

las

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @las,

I don't know why your search doesn't run, but surely it's a very slow search, having many join command inside it (Splunk isn't a DB and join command can be used only when there isn't any other solution and with few events!).

Try to use a different approach using stats:

index=atp-aes-prod (sourcetype=atp_aes_json SourceContext=RevisionLogger Properties.Url="/api/Document/get-merged-pdf" Properties.IsImpersonated=false) OR (SourceContext=ANS.Platform.Application.Commands.Queries.Selfservice.GenerateMergedPdf.GenerateMergedPdfHandler MessageTemplate="User tries to merge*") OR (SourceContext=ANS.Platform.Integrations.GetOrganized.GoDocumentsService MessageTemplate="Start CombineToPdf method*") OR (SourceContext=ANS.Platform.Domain.Services.Selfservice.Authorization.SelfServiceAuthorizationService MessageTemplate="SelfServiceAuthorizationService took {@elapsedMilliseconds} ms to be constructed for part {@partId}.")
| stats 
   values(Properties.Url) AS Url
   values(Timestamp) AS Timestamp
   values(Properties.CompanyName) AS CompanyName
   values(Properties.partId) AS partId
   values(Properties.documents) AS documents
   BY CorrelationId 

Sometimes there also an issue (and probably this is the problem of your original search, using fields with the dot inside, in this case use rename or quotes:

index=atp-aes-prod (sourcetype=atp_aes_json SourceContext=RevisionLogger Properties.Url="/api/Document/get-merged-pdf" Properties.IsImpersonated=false) OR (SourceContext=ANS.Platform.Application.Commands.Queries.Selfservice.GenerateMergedPdf.GenerateMergedPdfHandler MessageTemplate="User tries to merge*") OR (SourceContext=ANS.Platform.Integrations.GetOrganized.GoDocumentsService MessageTemplate="Start CombineToPdf method*") OR (SourceContext=ANS.Platform.Domain.Services.Selfservice.Authorization.SelfServiceAuthorizationService MessageTemplate="SelfServiceAuthorizationService took {@elapsedMilliseconds} ms to be constructed for part {@partId}.")
| rename
   Properties.Url AS Url
   Properties.CompanyName AS CompanyName
   Properties.partId AS partId
   Properties.documents AS documents
| stats 
   values(Url) AS Url
   values(CompanyName) AS CompanyName
   values(partId) AS partId
   values(documents) AS documents
   BY CorrelationId 

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @las,

I don't know why your search doesn't run, but surely it's a very slow search, having many join command inside it (Splunk isn't a DB and join command can be used only when there isn't any other solution and with few events!).

Try to use a different approach using stats:

| stats 
   values(Properties.Url) AS Url
   values(Properties.CompanyName) AS CompanyName
   values(Properties.partId) AS partId
   values(Properties.documents) AS documents
   BY CorrelationId 

Sometimes there also an issue (and probably this is the problem of your original search, using fields with the dot inside, in this case use rename or quotes:

| rename
   Properties.Url AS Url
   Properties.CompanyName AS CompanyName
   Properties.partId AS partId
   Properties.documents AS documents
| stats 
   values(Url) AS Url
   values(CompanyName) AS CompanyName
   values(partId) AS partId
   values(documents) AS documents
   BY CorrelationId 

Ciao.

Giuseppe

las
Contributor

Hi guiseppe.

I should have been clearer, yes it is a perfectly valid search - except for the many joins, that I also will rewrite with stats.

Yes - now I see it, it is a message template thatis part of the logging, so the {@fieldname} is just part of the normal search.

Thank you

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had 3 releases of new security content via the Enterprise Security ...

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...