Splunk Search

After restoring frozen buckets, why am I getting no results when searching the thawed data for any fields other than index, host and source?

dperry
Communicator

Splunk Instance running on Linux

I recently restored frozen buckets to my thawed bucket as follows:

cp -r * /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/web_logging/thaweddb/
then run the command splunk rebuild

I'm able to view the thawed data on a search with the Index, host & source. BUT when I try to do a search on a particular field pair or just a line, the search comes up empty...it's like it's not indexed??

Has anyone restored data and able to search on specific fields?

1 Solution

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This is a known issue resolved in 6.2.1, SPL-94063. If you upgrade, it should resolve the issue once you run a rebuild on the data again.

View solution in original post

the_wolverine
Champion

Thank you for asking this question, dperry, and for providing a descriptive question which allowed me to track down the same issue quickly.

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This is a known issue resolved in 6.2.1, SPL-94063. If you upgrade, it should resolve the issue once you run a rebuild on the data again.

bofa
Engager

SPL-94063 really needs to be publicly documented....

dperry
Communicator

Thanks for the info!

0 Karma

MikeBertelsen
Communicator

We just restored a bucket on 6.2.1 and we cannot find data for the time specified.
PWD is /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/wineventlog/thaweddb/
CLI executed was /opt/splunk/bin/splunk rebuild db_1429295681_1427997060_10

it executed with warning messages but completed.
/opt/splunk/bin/splunk rebuild db_1429295681_1427997060_10
USAGE: splunk rebuild [] [--no-log]
The parameter is ignored if provided.
Please see 'splunk fsck' for more options. This command is just a wrapper for 'splunk fsck'.

Redirecting to 'splunkd fsck' with args:
repair --one-bucket --include-hots --bucket-path=db_1429295681_1427997060_10 --log-to--splunkd-log
WARN Fsck - Not loading indexes.conf; will proceed with all defaults
INFO Fsck - (entire bucket) Rebuild for bucket='/opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/wineventlog/thaweddb/db_1429295681_1427997060_10' took 517.4 seconds

When it was done we restarted the indexer and searched for the desired time period. No data found.

0 Karma

MikeBertelsen
Communicator

Nevermind, the data did restore but i was looking at the wrong time range.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...