Splunk Enterprise

Copy the indexed bucket to another index path

splunker12er
Motivator

Is it possible for me to copy the specific Index bucket to another Index path,

Eg:
I want to copy the indexed data from index name 'My-Index-Name-1' to 'My-Index-Name-2'
Just by cut and copy the bucket to new index path, will work ?

Search query: (will this work , after copy ?)

index=My-Index-Name-2 | table _raw

Details:

Index Name ->My-Index-Name-1
State -> Warm
Path -> /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/My-Index-Name-1/db/db_1403947472_1403779602_8
Tags (3)
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

This is risky to do, as each bucket in an index has an identifier that is unique to that index. If you copy a bucket to a different index, you will almost certainly cause a collision of bucket ids, which will cause errors.

It is safer to simply re-index the data, placing in the index where you want it to go.

If you have a deep understanding of how buckets and indexes are organized, you might consider how you could use tools like rebuilding buckets. But I am sure that Splunk Support would recommend against it.

splunker12er
Motivator

I do need carefully select the selective Warm dbs and move to the new index folder , and check for bucket_id clash. if any I do need to modify the range accordingly and run the below command :

./splunk _internal call /data/indexes/MY-INDX-NAME/rebuild-metadata-and-manifests

doing so, I can be successful in moving the indexed data from one index to another index. (my case i want the data to be searched in the other index name)
Am i fine with the understanding? please correct me , if i am wrong.

0 Karma

splunker12er
Motivator

whether the index name also stored along with the indexed data ? Or it depends on the path where the index resides ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...