Splunk Dev

Injecting CVS commits to Splunk index

rpolak

Is there a technique to insert CVS commit logs to a Splunk Index. By default a CVS log isn't a time series file as it has each file managed opening a record and than is followed by the individual commits.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Wilcooley
Path Finder

Oh wow, I read this as CSV until I saw your example...

With some of my Git repos I log on repo push (which is effectively a commit on the master repo) with the 'post-update' hook. I haven't looked at CVS for years, but if I recall correctly, it has a hook mechanism that you could use similarly. I use logger which logs to syslog, so I only use the first line of the commit message, which by convention in the Git world is a summary or subject. If you want to index the whole commit message, you'll probably need to use a Splunk forwarder.

Here it is in the cvsbook.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I guess I don't know what a CVS log actually looks like, but it seems to me like each file has its own time-series log?

0 Karma

rpolak

This is an example of a CVS log:

http://sharetext.org/M8nW

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...