Security

bootstart user

VijaySrrie
Builder

Hi,

After rebooting the server when I checked splunk services were not running. So I tried to start the splunk services, but getting the below error

this command can only be run by bootstart user

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Assuming linux, and you have sudo access and your server should run as splunk.

sudo su splunk -
/opt/splunk/bin splunk start
If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

VijaySrrie
Builder

/etc/init.d/splunk start used to work running as the root user and we're trying to troubleshoot why it suddenly stopped working?

0 Karma

gfreitas
Builder

I'd recommend you check splunk-launch.conf for the user, su to the user: su <user> and then run /opt/splunk/bin/splunk start and see what error messages it shows (if any) and please note I assumed Splunk is installed under /opt/splunk

0 Karma

VijaySrrie
Builder

Hi,

Issue was fixed 2 days back after restarting the splunk from /opt/splunk/bin
But we always start, stop the splunk services in /etc/init.d location, after rebooting the server and when we tried to start the service in /etc/init.d it was throwing error like "the command can only be run by bootstart user". Then I started the service in /opt/splunk/bin and it got restarted. Now, I am just curious to know why it was not working under /etc/init.d ???

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

is your server using systemd?

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Assuming linux, and you have sudo access and your server should run as splunk.

sudo su splunk -
/opt/splunk/bin splunk start
0 Karma

gfreitas
Builder

Check inside splunk-launch.conf for SPLUNK_OS_USER then su to this user and start the Splunk service

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...