Security

What is N/A in the user field?

IT_Bullgod
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I issued this search: index="_audit" | top user limit="1000" attempting to see the users on my system. Some of the output had "n/a" in the user field. What does this mean?

Tags (1)

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk will record the user as "n/a" if there's no user associated with the particular log entry. An example of this is the recording of the completion of searches. This is a system wide activity and the user who invoked the search is recorded when the search started.

Similarly fschange-initiated audit entries cannot be tied to a particular user and are recorded as "n/a."

splunkettes
Path Finder

Do you know why audittrail shows "N/A" for user when a Splunk user creates a lookup file? For example, I created a lookup file testingLookupCreationAudit.csv using the outputlookup command and the logged event for it showed,

Audit:[timestamp=08-17-2020 15:02:32.078, user=n/a, action=add,path="/data/1/splunk/etc/apps/search/lookups/testingLookupCreationAudit.csv", isdir=0, size=117, gid=1001, uid=1001, modtime="Mon Aug 17 14:54:10 2020", mode="rw-------", hash=][n/a]

Why didn't Splunk log my user name in this event?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...