Security

Key-value pair extraction

jkloet
Explorer

Given the event (output from Cisco ASA 'show vpn-sessiondb full svc' command)...

Session ID: 33397 | EasyVPN: 0 | Username: user@company.com | Group: VPN-User | Tunnel Group: WebVPN-AD-Authentication | IP Addr: 192.168.1.1 | Public IP: 184.151.1.1 | Protocol: Clientless SSL-Tunnel DTLS-Tunnel | License: SSL VPN | Session Subtype: With client | Encryption: RC4 AES128 | Login Time: 15:35:44 EST Tue Nov 22 2011 | Duration: 0h:00m:35s | Inactivity: 0h:00m:00s | Bytes Tx: 20277 | Bytes Rx: 19574 | NAC Result: Unknown | Posture Token: | VLAN Mapping: N/A | VLAN: 0 ||

... I am able to extract the key-value pairs using:

**props.conf
[vpnsessiondata]

DATETIME_CONFIG=CURRENT

REPORT-sessiondata=sessiondata

**transforms.conf

[sessiondata]

DELIMS = "|", ":"

The problem during searches is that a field is ignored if the character delimiting the key from the value (":" in this case) is also contained within the value (any time value for instance).

How can I deal with this?

Thanks! Jeff

0 Karma
1 Solution

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

OK, in that case then try something like this using your transforms stanza:

transforms.conf
[sessiondata]
REGEX = ([^\|]+):\s([^\|]+)
FORMAT = $1::$2

REGEX reads "anything that is not a pipe, followed by a colon, followed by a space, followed by a pipe, followed by anything that is not a pipe.

Hope this helps.

> please upvote and accept answer if you find it useful - thanks!

View solution in original post

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

OK, in that case then try something like this using your transforms stanza:

transforms.conf
[sessiondata]
REGEX = ([^\|]+):\s([^\|]+)

REGEX reads "anything that is not a pipe, followed by a colon, followed by a space, followed by a pipe, followed by anything that is not a pipe.

Hope this helps.

jkloet
Explorer

That works as needed... thanks!! Jeff

0 Karma

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Not sure whether this will work, but give it a try.

transforms.conf
[sessiondata]
DELIMS = "|", ": "

Notice the space after : in DELIMS

Hope this helps.

0 Karma

jkloet
Explorer

That would be nice however the documentation says:

[multiple_delims]
DELIMS = "|;", "=:"

*The above example extracts key-value pairs which are separated by '|' or ';'.
*while the key is delimited from value by '=' or ':'.

0 Karma

tpsplunk
Communicator

I don't think you can use DELIMS to do this because as you've noted it doesn't work well when one of your delimiters shows up in a key or value field. I had to solve this by using a REGEX instead, see: http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/34550/help-with-regex-to-separate-keyvalue-pairs-with-a-charac...

in your case you would want to craft a regex that captures into two capture groups, group 1 is the key and group 2 is the value.

REGEX = To be created

i will try to figure out the regex, but my regex-fu is of a medium level so hopefully someone will beat me to it.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us in this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...