Reporting

populate_lookup creates a gziped (.gz) file?

Lowell
Super Champion

Anyone know why the populate_lookup saved search alert action creates a compressed .gz file even if the destination file doesn't end in ".gz"?

I have a savedsearches.conf entry like so:

[Metrics daily sourcetype - build lookup]
action.populate_lookup = 1
action.populate_lookup.dest = etc/apps/SplunkAdmin/lookups/metrics_daily_sourcetype.csv
cron_schedule = 0 * * * *
dispatch.earliest_time = -27d@d
dispatch.latest_time = @d
displayview = flashtimeline
enableSched = 1
search = (earliest=-10d@d latest=@d date_hour::`this_hour`) OR (earliest=-27d@d latest=@d date_wday::`this_wday`) index=_internal tag::host=splunk source=*metrics.log "group=per_sourcetype_thruput" | .... and so on ...

When the savesearch runs, it actually generates a file named metrics_daily_sourcetype.csv.gz (note the ".gz" on the end). Is this normal behavior or is it a bug of some type?

I also see the following message in my splunkd log that corresponds to each time this saved search runs:

ERROR SearchOperator:copyresults - You must provide a search id.

And when I bumped up the logging on the copyresults operator, I got the following message too (but apparently only one time):

INFO  SearchOperator:copyresults - copy results.csv.gz to /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkAdmin/lookups/metrics_daily_sourcetype.csv.gz, success=1
1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This issue has been filed as a bug (SPL-40222) and will be fixed in release 4.2.3. In the meantime, be sure to reference the gzipped lookup in transforms.conf instead of the plain CSV, or even better : Reference the lookup name (from transforms.conf) in action.populate_lookup.dest.

Example :

• savedsearches.conf :

[queue name to max_size_kb lookup]
search = index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=queue | dedup name | table name, max_size_kb
(...)
action.populate_lookup.dest = q2s

• transforms.conf :

[q2s]
filename = qname2size.csv.gz

View solution in original post

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This issue has been filed as a bug (SPL-40222) and will be fixed in release 4.2.3. In the meantime, be sure to reference the gzipped lookup in transforms.conf instead of the plain CSV, or even better : Reference the lookup name (from transforms.conf) in action.populate_lookup.dest.

Example :

• savedsearches.conf :

[queue name to max_size_kb lookup]
search = index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=queue | dedup name | table name, max_size_kb
(...)
action.populate_lookup.dest = q2s

• transforms.conf :

[q2s]
filename = qname2size.csv.gz

jeffa
Path Finder

I am seeing the same issue. Any update as to the cause?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...