Reporting

How can I create line/area charts over fields other than _time using Pivot?

frank_zhang
Path Finder

Hi,

I'm learning Splunk6 pivot features, and noticed when I choose Line Chart or Area Chart in Pivot editor, X-Axis is hardcoded with "Time". Is there any reason that it doesn't allow to create line/area chart over fields other than time? Is there any workaround besides using SPL?

Thanks.

Tags (1)

gauldridge
Path Finder

I can't say for sure but it might be that line and area charts are well suited for showing trends over time. However, if your goal is to create a dashboard panel using Pivot, you can create a bar or column graph in Pivot (which allows you to choose the X-axis field), save the search as a dashboard panel, and then change the visualization to line/area using the panel editor in the dashboard.

frank_zhang
Path Finder

Thanks, I think this workaround solved my problem.

0 Karma

felipetesta
Path Finder

Even in 6.2.2 the Line Chart in Pivot doesn't accept a custom X-axis field. The solution by gauldridge worked for me too. It is still a loooong way to get a multi-day overlapped chart, but at least it is now possible with pivots.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...