#Random
This is a place to discuss all things outside of Splunk, its products, and its use cases.

I just watched a storage vendor claim that "hot buckets are all in memory"....

lycollicott
Motivator

Does he know something I don't? I never heard that claim before.

0 Karma
1 Solution

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I've seen it done before, but by default, this is not correct.

You could show him /splunk/var/lib/splunk/<index_name>/db and view the hot buckets which are being written to disk..

View solution in original post

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I've seen it done before, but by default, this is not correct.

You could show him /splunk/var/lib/splunk/<index_name>/db and view the hot buckets which are being written to disk..

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Agreed, there are many amazing storage solutions, many of which cache in RAM invisibly, but this is storage tier magic (and very vendor/solution specific), not a general truth.

0 Karma

lycollicott
Motivator

That's what I thought, too, but didn't want to call BS without a little research first.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

If you are brave enough to use tmpfs for your hot storage, then yes 😉
Maybe this claim was related to the storage system has some internal cache which keeps open files in its internal memory before writing to disk? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

0 Karma

lycollicott
Motivator

LOL, yeah. We're getting a Webex demo from them this month, so I'm going to watching for it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...