Other Usage

Report vs Alert in REST API for saved searches

catchaj88
Explorer

I queried the /servicesNS/-/-/saved/searches GET API and got a number of responses which included saved searches listed under Reports and Alerts on the front end. I took the response for one of the alerts, extracted the relevant information (without changing any values) and did a POST to /servicesNS/{owner}/{app}/saved/searches/{name}. After I did the POST, the saved search is now showing up under Report on the UI.

0 Karma

AVOLLMER
Explorer

I used this to determine if the saved search was a report or an alert:
| eval ss_type=if((NOT 'action'=="*" AND NOT alert_track=="*" AND NOT alert_condition=="*" AND 'alert_type'=="always"),"report","alert")
it may just be when 'alert_type'=="always" but I added the others to be safe. I needed to do this to create clickable links that would open the report or alert . So you might want to check if it has these values, which would cause it to be recognized as a report.

danielbb
Motivator

It's an old thread, but is alert_type=="always" enough to determine that a saved search is an alert?

0 Karma

danielbb
Motivator

Apparently, it's the other way around - alert_type == "always", means that the saved search is a report, because it always fires and therefore to detect alerts we need to use alert_type != "always", in cases when alert_type == "number of events" etc.

0 Karma

emottola
Explorer

The thread is even older now, but I also found you need to specify  `'alert.suppress': 0` when posting to `/servicesNS/{owner}/{app}/saved/searches/` to make sure it's an alert and not a report.
In total, I specified at least the below parameters to create an alert

{
    'is_scheduled': 1,
    'cron_schedule': '09-59/10 * * * *',
    'alert_comparator': 'greater than',
    'alert_threshold': 5,
    'alert_type': 'number of events',
    'alert.suppress': 0,
}

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...