Monitoring Splunk

Tested with success, but looking for validation to ensure that this is an appropriate way to move an index to new LUN

paimonsoror
Builder

Hi Folks;

As our network indexes has grown rapidly over time, I am looking to preserve data and splunk performance, while making sure that we have the capacity to store the network data. In doing so, I have requested a second LUN for our network index. I have performed the following steps in my non-Prod environment, and it seems like everything was successful, but I do want to make sure that I didn't miss a step:

1. Set maintenance mode on the cluster
  2. For each individual indexer
    • Stop indexer
    • edit etc/splunk-launch.conf to add a new 'SPLUNK_NETWORK_DB' variable
    • edit etc/slave-apps/all_indexes/local/indexes.conf to update the network db/thaweddb/colddb reference to use new var
    • mv var/lib/splunk/network/*db /opt/splunk_network_data
    • start indexer
  3. disable maintenance mode
  4. update master index file
  5. deploy master index.conf to cluster to make sure all indexers are in sync
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mbuehler_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Paimonsoror,

This would work, there are a few things to consider:

First, adding a new "SPLUNK_NETWORK_DB" variable is not needed, and might someday cause issues with maintainability.

I would, following best practice just change the path in the indexes.conf, that way you don't have to edit multiple files to make a "simple" change.

Second, just a word of caution, editing the Slave-apps contents can lead you down a dangerous path, so just be careful.

But yes this will work.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mbuehler_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Paimonsoror,

This would work, there are a few things to consider:

First, adding a new "SPLUNK_NETWORK_DB" variable is not needed, and might someday cause issues with maintainability.

I would, following best practice just change the path in the indexes.conf, that way you don't have to edit multiple files to make a "simple" change.

Second, just a word of caution, editing the Slave-apps contents can lead you down a dangerous path, so just be careful.

But yes this will work.

0 Karma

paimonsoror
Builder

Thanks for the quick response. And after thinking about it, I agree that the extra Var isn't needed. Especially because that means now if i stand up a new indexer, i need to remember to add that var to the conf file.

Regarding your second point, would there be a better alternative so that I can make sure that the indexer points to the right place for the network data when i start it back up, but before i push out a new bundle?

0 Karma

mbuehler_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Painmonsoror,

I don't know that in a clustered environment you have a better option, so I would do that. because Slave-apps takes the highest precedent. So I would do it how you suggest.

Good luck!

paimonsoror
Builder

I appreciate it! Our nonprod testing went well, so crossing my fingers for Prod :D. Thanks again for your help

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...