Knowledge Management

How to determine the data volume associated to a group of hosts?

olopez77
Explorer

I have data comming into the corporate indexers from several business units (BU). Given a list of hosts owned by each BU, how do you determine how much data volume is associated to each BU?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

vincesesto
Communicator

Hey olopez77,

Have you checked out the Splunk License Usage app that is available:
http://splunk-base.splunk.com/apps/22382/splunk-license-usage

I think this should give you a good idea as to how you can set this up...One of the searches being performed on the dashboard does something like the following:

index="_internal" source="metrics.log" per_host_thruput | chart sum(kb) by series

So all you would really need to do is provide host details for each BU and you can get a total from that.

Hope that this helps, if not let me know and I would be happy to clarify.

Regards Vince

0 Karma

olopez77
Explorer

I'm not clear on how to "provide host details", I currently have over 22k hosts sending data. Each BU contributes data from several hundred hosts. The goal is to provide each BU a breakdown of how much volume each BU generates. I only have host lists (csv) to work from. Unfortunately, I have no mechanism in Splunk (i.e. tags, or dedicated indexes) that associate hosts to a BU.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...