Knowledge Management

Event Types on a Summary Index

srussellnpr
Explorer

Team,

I have a summary index that looks like this:

<search string> | sistats count by UserAgent

I also have a collection of event types that group various UserAgents, such that:

[ua_iPhone]
UserAgent="iPhone"

[ua_iPad]
UserAgent="iPad"

I'd like to query the si and end up with a list of top user agents, sort of like:

index="summary" search_name="si_useragent" | stats count by UserAgent | eval eventtype=mvfilter(match(eventtype, "ua\_.*")) | top eventtype

Is this possible? Advisable?

Thanks, -S.

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Stephen has given you an answer. As an aside, I recommend use of a lookup table rather than eventtypes for this use case.

0 Karma

srussellnpr
Explorer

Ah, precisely! It looks more like:

[ua_iphone] UserAgent="iPhone"

However, I was considering writing a script in python to create a dynamic lookup table, but then I heard about this eventtype approach.

0 Karma

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'd normally recommend a lookup as well, but my guess is that the actual eventtypes have wildcards, which CSV lookups don't play well with.

0 Karma

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, you should be able to do this by manually running the typer command after the stats count. For example:

index="summary" search_name="si_useragent" | stats count by UserAgent | typer | eval eventtype=mvfilter(match(eventtype, "ua_.*")) | top eventtype
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...