Installation

How to prevent Splunk on MacOS from "freezing"

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

For years I have kept a standalone Splunk Enterprise running on Macbooks.  Typically I keep MacOS in sleep or running mode overnight.  Splunk will run until I reboot (or forced restart).  Never had a problem.

But in the past two weeks, I had two nights during which splunkd on one Macbook entered a "frozen" state in that it will respond to some HTTP queries (e.g., listing dashboards) but all search jobs stopped responding.  I had to either run the Splunk launcher to stop it then relaunch, or reboot.

Meanwhile, another Macbook continues to run Splunk fine (in sleep mode).

Anyone experience the same?  What could be possible causes?  Neither instance has any recurring jobs or ingestion.  Current version is 9.1.2.  The problematic one runs MacOS 12.7.3/M1. (Last updated some weeks ago.)  The other one runs the same MacOS on Intel.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

I suppose that you have already try next steps?

• Ingest macOS internal logs to splunk (preferred another instance)
  • check are there anything on macOS console app?

I have been running already years splunkd on macOS till 13.6.4 mainly in intel. I have also one instance on M1, but I haven't seen this kind of behaviour.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for the tip.  I'm afraid I don't quite know what to ingest on Mac or how to do it right especially if it should be shipped to another instance.  The problematic one is a work computer that is connected to corporate VPN (but will disconnect from time to time) and runs a bunch of corporate "security stuff" like MS Defender.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...