Installation

How can I break down an event

ninisimonishvil
Path Finder

I have an input from app - WEB Input

It extracts last 5 events from webpage every 1 minute. however instead of spitting them into 5 Splunk sees it as 1 event :

განცხადებების სტატუსების ბოლო 5 ცვლილება მიმდინარეობს ხელშეკრულების მომზადება 07.02.2018 16:01 NAT180000701 შემსყიდველი: შპს ,,ბათუმის წყალი\" კატეგორია: 44100000 არ შედგა 07.02.2018 16:01 NAT180001544 შემსყიდველი: ახალციხის მუნიციპალიტეტის მერია კატეგორია: 50100000 გამარჯვებული გამოვლენილია 07.02.2018 16:00 NAT180000701 შემსყიდველი: შპს ,,ბათუმის წყალი\" კატეგორია: 44100000 შერჩევა/შეფასება 07.02.2018 16:00 NAT180000701 შემსყიდველი: შპს ,,ბათუმის წყალი\" კატეგორია: 44100000 წინადადებების მიღება დასრულებულია 07.02.2018 16:00 NAT180001544 შემსყიდველი: ახალციხის მუნიციპალიტეტის მერია კატეგორია: 50100000"

every event starts with date and ends with space followed by 8 consecutive numbers.

I tried to use SHOULD_MERGE and MUST_BREAK AFTER \s\d{8}
Also tried BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE \d{2}[.]\d{2}[.]\d{4} \d{2}:\d{2}

However getting no results.

0 Karma
1 Solution

Yunagi
Communicator

Have a look at Configure event line breaking.

Event line breaking consists of two steps: 1st) line breaking and 2nd) line merging.

Line breaking is mostly configured by LINE_BREAKER. By default, LINE_BREAKER is the newline character.

Line merging is configured by SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true and a couple of other options like BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE.

You should be concerned with line breaking. I suggest you try something like this:

LINE_BREAKER = ( \d{8})

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Yunagi
Communicator

Have a look at Configure event line breaking.

Event line breaking consists of two steps: 1st) line breaking and 2nd) line merging.

Line breaking is mostly configured by LINE_BREAKER. By default, LINE_BREAKER is the newline character.

Line merging is configured by SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true and a couple of other options like BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE.

You should be concerned with line breaking. I suggest you try something like this:

LINE_BREAKER = ( \d{8})
0 Karma

ninisimonishvil
Path Finder

Tried that too. Still no result.

0 Karma

Yunagi
Communicator

Are you running a single instance of Splunk? Or do you have multiple insances? This configuration (via props.conf) needs to be placed on the instance where the indexing phase happens. That could be a heavy forwarder.

Set SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false (along with the LINE_BREAKER option) and see if that makes a difference.

0 Karma

ninisimonishvil
Path Finder

It is a single instance yes and props.conf needs to be placed in application's local folder, since its the application that takes data from website.

0 Karma

Yunagi
Communicator

Try it like this:

[yoursourcetype]
LINE_BREAKER = ( )\d\d\.\d\d\.\d\d\d\d \d\d:\d\d

As you can see it should work: screenshot
(I autotranslated your input file.)

If it still does not work, can you post your props.conf? I would like to see the relevant stanza.

Also, don't forget to restart Splunk after editing configuration files.

0 Karma

ninisimonishvil
Path Finder

worked. thanks a lot!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...