Getting Data In

splunkweb service fails on windows after upgrade to 4.3

mataharry
Communicator

I upgraded from 4.2.* to 4.3 in windows,
Since the service splunkweb fail to start, and here is the error :

The instance's SvcRun() method failed
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\site-packages\win32\win32serviceutil.py", line 785, in SvcRun
self.SvcDoRun()
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\SplunkWebService.py", line 37, in SvcDoRun
subprocess.call(gMakeCertsCmd)
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\subprocess.py", line 493, in call
return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\subprocess.py", line 679, in init
errread, errwrite)
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\subprocess.py", line 893, in execute_child
startupinfo)
: [Error 193] File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\site-packages\win32\win32serviceutil.py", line 785, in SvcRun
self.SvcDoRun()
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\SplunkWebService.py", line 37, in SvcDoRun
subprocess.call(gMakeCertsCmd)
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\subprocess.py", line 493, in call
return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\subprocess.py", line 679, in __init
_
errread, errwrite)
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\subprocess.py", line 893, in _execute_child
startupinfo) is not a valid Win32 application

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It is a uncommon issue, probably issue during the upgrade.

By the way, this error message is likely caused by invalid file name in c:\Program Files\Splunk\bin OR $SPLUNK_HOME\bin. Search for a file named program or files or Splunk or bin and likely 0 byte size. If you find it remove it and try to startup.

View solution in original post

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It is a uncommon issue, probably issue during the upgrade.

By the way, this error message is likely caused by invalid file name in c:\Program Files\Splunk\bin OR $SPLUNK_HOME\bin. Search for a file named program or files or Splunk or bin and likely 0 byte size. If you find it remove it and try to startup.

cramasta
Builder

I had the same problem during a upgrade on windows.

0 Karma

mataharry
Communicator

I checked in the Splunk folders, and found a zero-byte file named Splunk. I renamed that to zzzSplunkzzz, tried to start the service, and it started fine.

thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...