Getting Data In

how to work with transforms.conf

sarit_s
Communicator

Hello

I have few services that today sends data some index via code.

We are going to remove this index and create new one but cannot change the code so i want to change the point with transforms.conf + props.conf using regex that extract the service name from source field and the environment from _raw

this is my transforms.conf file :

[service_extraction]
SOURCE_KEY = source
REGEX = \/var\/log\/pods\/(.+?)_
FORMAT = complaince_int_front::@service_$environment
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
LOOKAHEAD = 40000

[environment_extraction]
SOURCE_KEY = sourcetype::kube:container:mockapiservice
REGEX = "Region":"(.+?)"
FORMAT = complaince_int_front::@service_$1
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
LOOKAHEAD = 40000

i guess i did something wrong since its not working

Labels (2)
0 Karma

datadevops
Path Finder

Hi there,

Here's a breakdown of potential issues and solutions:

1. Regex Accuracy:

• Double-check that the regular expressions (REGEX) accurately match your expected data patterns. Test them thoroughly using online regex testers or Splunk's rex command.
  • Ensure the source and sourcetype fields contain the correct values for extraction.

2. FORMAT Order:

• The FORMAT field should use $1 to reference the first captured group from the regex, not $environment. Here's the corrected format:
FORMAT = complaince_int_front::@service_$1

3. Transform Order:

• If both transforms are applied to the same data, consider their order. The environment_extraction transform might overwrite the service_extraction if it runs first. Adjust the order in transforms.conf if needed.

4. props.conf:

• Verify that props.conf correctly sets the _MetaData:Index field for indexing.

5. Troubleshooting Steps:

• Review Logs: Examine Splunk's internal logs for errors or warnings related to transforms.
  • Test with Sample Data: Isolate issues by manually running transforms on sample data using the | command.
  • Enable Debugging: Set DEBUG = true in [transforms] for detailed logging.

Additional Tips:

• Consider using Splunk's indextime command for more flexible index-time transformations.
  • Consult Splunk's documentation for in-depth guidance on transforms and regular expressions.

Remember:

• Test changes thoroughly in a non-production environment before deploying to production.
  • Regularly review and update transforms to ensure they align with evolving data patterns.

~ If the reply helps, a Karma upvote would be appreciated

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...