Getting Data In

how to work with transforms.conf

sarit_s
Communicator

Hello

I have few services that today sends data some index via code.

We are going to remove this index and create new one but cannot change the code so i want to change the point with transforms.conf + props.conf using regex that extract the service name from source field and the environment from _raw

this is my transforms.conf file :

[service_extraction]
SOURCE_KEY = source
REGEX = \/var\/log\/pods\/(.+?)_
FORMAT = complaince_int_front::@service_$environment
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
LOOKAHEAD = 40000

[environment_extraction]
SOURCE_KEY = sourcetype::kube:container:mockapiservice
REGEX = "Region":"(.+?)"
FORMAT = complaince_int_front::@service_$1
DEST_KEY = _MetaData:Index
LOOKAHEAD = 40000

i guess i did something wrong since its not working

Labels (2)
0 Karma

datadevops
Path Finder

Hi there,

Here's a breakdown of potential issues and solutions:

1. Regex Accuracy:

• Double-check that the regular expressions (REGEX) accurately match your expected data patterns. Test them thoroughly using online regex testers or Splunk's rex command.
  • Ensure the source and sourcetype fields contain the correct values for extraction.

2. FORMAT Order:

• The FORMAT field should use $1 to reference the first captured group from the regex, not $environment. Here's the corrected format:
FORMAT = complaince_int_front::@service_$1

3. Transform Order:

• If both transforms are applied to the same data, consider their order. The environment_extraction transform might overwrite the service_extraction if it runs first. Adjust the order in transforms.conf if needed.

4. props.conf:

• Verify that props.conf correctly sets the _MetaData:Index field for indexing.

5. Troubleshooting Steps:

• Review Logs: Examine Splunk's internal logs for errors or warnings related to transforms.
  • Test with Sample Data: Isolate issues by manually running transforms on sample data using the | command.
  • Enable Debugging: Set DEBUG = true in [transforms] for detailed logging.

Additional Tips:

• Consider using Splunk's indextime command for more flexible index-time transformations.
  • Consult Splunk's documentation for in-depth guidance on transforms and regular expressions.

Remember:

• Test changes thoroughly in a non-production environment before deploying to production.
  • Regularly review and update transforms to ensure they align with evolving data patterns.

~ If the reply helps, a Karma upvote would be appreciated

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...