Getting Data In

failed to parse timestamp at data preview

newbiesplunk
Path Finder

Hi,
When i do the data preview, it stated "Failed to parse timestamp, defaulting to file modetime". The correct timestamp for my event should be 2 Sep instead of 9 Feb. How to resolve it? If it due to the date configured at the server end or the setting at the splunk? thks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

newbiesplunk
Path Finder

Hi,
if i would like to extract the date (dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss) in the content of the file as the timestamp as shown below, how to go abt doing it? thks

File content
Start;server;02/10/2014 16:13:13

tom_frotscher
Builder

Hi! Splunk can't automatically resolve your timestamp in this case. Therefore, it can fall back to use the time of the last modification of your logfile as a timestamp. If this is the case, you need to do some additional configuration. Is it possible that you post some example events of your logfile and show us the configuration you use for the corresponding sourcetype? Then we can help you to make splunk considering your timestamp correctly.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...