Getting Data In

failed to parse timestamp at data preview

newbiesplunk
Path Finder

Hi,
When i do the data preview, it stated "Failed to parse timestamp, defaulting to file modetime". The correct timestamp for my event should be 2 Sep instead of 9 Feb. How to resolve it? If it due to the date configured at the server end or the setting at the splunk? thks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

newbiesplunk
Path Finder

Hi,
if i would like to extract the date (dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss) in the content of the file as the timestamp as shown below, how to go abt doing it? thks

File content
Start;server;02/10/2014 16:13:13

tom_frotscher
Builder

Hi! Splunk can't automatically resolve your timestamp in this case. Therefore, it can fall back to use the time of the last modification of your logfile as a timestamp. If this is the case, you need to do some additional configuration. Is it possible that you post some example events of your logfile and show us the configuration you use for the corresponding sourcetype? Then we can help you to make splunk considering your timestamp correctly.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...