Getting Data In

do i need a different license to install splunkforwarder?

just4me
Engager

do i need a different license to install splunkforwarder if i already have an enterprise license for splunk? also installing splunk forwarder seems like a separate instance that i have to install on my server? is that correct

Tags (2)

piebob
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

documentation for forwarder licenses is here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0/Admin/TypesofSplunklicenses#Forwarder_license

the tl;ldr answer is: no. if you're installing a universal forwarder, it will not be indexing any data, so you don't need to install a separate license on it (it comes with its own separate license pre-installed and enabled).

the universal forwarder is a separate package and should be installed as needed on the system(s) from which you want to forward data. review this topic and others about forwarding:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Deploy/Aboutforwardingandreceivingdata

piebob
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

if you are going to be indexing data on that forwarder, you do not need a separate license, but you will need to add it as a slave to your license master and give it access to the enterprise license stack per the docs link i provided above.

just4me
Engager

i'm planning on installing heavy fowarder as we need the indexing feature of the heavy indexer.
do i need another liecense in this case?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...