Getting Data In

Why am I encountering a bug when accessing nested JSON field values?

responsys_cm
Builder

There seems to be a bug searching events with JSON data if the field names are nested.

For example: sourcetype=cmdb | rename data.ip_v4_address AS ip
This search works as expected

sourcetype=cmdb | eval ip=data.ip_v4

This search does not put any value in the ip field.

If, however, I create an alias for data.ip_v4, I can use eval to access the value of the aliased field.

I complained to my Splunk SE about this over a year ago and it still hasn't been fixed as of 7.1.1.

0 Karma
1 Solution

jtacy
Builder

I think the correct syntax for your second search is:

sourcetype=cmdb | eval ip='data.ip_v4'

The requirement for single quotes in this situation is stated at http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.1/SearchReference/Eval under Syntax:

If the expression references a field name that contains non-alphanumeric characters, it needs to be surrounded by single quotation marks.

View solution in original post

jtacy
Builder

I think the correct syntax for your second search is:

sourcetype=cmdb | eval ip='data.ip_v4'

The requirement for single quotes in this situation is stated at http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.1/SearchReference/Eval under Syntax:

If the expression references a field name that contains non-alphanumeric characters, it needs to be surrounded by single quotation marks.

responsys_cm
Builder

Boom! Thanks, jtacy!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...