Getting Data In

What's the significance of "add forward-server" on the universal forwarders?

awurster
Contributor

what's the significance of the add forward-server statement?

splunk add forward-server <host>:<port> -auth <username>:<password>

i'm documenting the forwarder install for some admins to read, and we previously had this step in there for a standalone deployment. i think we'll remove it though with our new distributed deployment.

according to the Answers and Docs it's optional, and i believe i'm hardcoding all the indexer addresses anyways in a forwarder package so it's not needed. it's just difficult for me to follow some of the docs because terminologies are used interchangeably and it sometimes becomes unclear.

0 Karma

josh_beverly
Explorer

I know this is a super old thread but I was wondering if you could clarify:

i believe i'm hardcoding all the indexer addresses anyways in a forwarder package so it's not needed.

Do you have some documentation on this process?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

0 Karma

sudosplunk
Motivator

The CLI command in question is used to configure receiving endpoint on Universal Forwarder. More info is available here. I am not sure if this is what you're looking for, but this definitely is a good starting point.

0 Karma

josh_beverly
Explorer

thankyou for the reply but i am specifically asking about hardcoding the indexer addresses in a forwarder package

0 Karma

sudosplunk
Motivator

In that case, you have to include outputs.conf with below settings, in your forwarder package.

## Syntax
[tcpout-server://<ip address>:<port>]

## Example
[tcpout-server://1.1.1.1:9997]

OR

##Syntax:
[tcpout:<target_group>]
server = [<ip>|<servername>]:<port>

##Example:
[tcpout:prod_indexer_group]
server = https://yourIndexer1:9997, https://yourIndexer2:9997

Please have a look at my other answer for more details on above settings. HTH!

0 Karma

chanfoli
Builder

The purpose of this CLI command is to add an indexer (or heavy forwarder) to outputs.conf - in a basic setup this is the CLI way to tell your forwarder where to forward to.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...