Getting Data In

What's the difference between these two transforms stanzas in props.conf?

ankithreddy777
Contributor

May I know the difference between writing transforms stanza in props.conf in different ways

Ex:

transforms-xyz = transforms1, transforms2

[in this case to my knowledge transforms1 executed first and the remaining events go to transforms2]

AND

transforms-xyz=transforms1
tranforms-abc=transforms2

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
TRANSFORMS-<class> = <transform_stanza_name>, <transform_stanza_name2>,...
* Use a comma-separated list to apply multiple transform stanzas to a single
  TRANSFORMS extraction. Splunk applies them in the list order. For example,
  this sequence ensures that the [yellow] transform stanza gets applied
  first, then [blue], and then [red]:
        [source::color_logs]
        TRANSFORMS-colorchange = yellow, blue, red

Otherwise it is ASCII order by the classname as in uppercase A comes before uppercase Z and lowercase a comes after uppercase Z. It's handy to reference an ASCII table for this:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ascii+table&atb=v38-2&ia=answer&iax=1

the lower the decimal value of the ASCII character, the higher priority the class will have in Splunk.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.3/Admin/Wheretofindtheconfigurationfiles#How_Splunk_...

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So in a way it's probably better practice using the comma separation. I have a habit of doing it like this though:

TRANSFORMS-aaa=
TRANSFORMS-bbb=
TRANSFORMS-zzz=

This way someone else can come behind me and decide they need to transform before all my rules with

TRANSFORMS-AAA

Or after my rules with more z's

TRANSFORMS-zzzz

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I always use CSV; it clearly shows the order and changing the order or inserting in the middle is trivial.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...