Getting Data In

What is the proper syntax for my forwarder inputs.conf stanza to monitor specific files based on a string in the filename?

andrefriedmann

Hi

I am trying to monitor specific files from one directory based on a string in the filename.

Example files:

C:\testapp\logs\02-05-2014 Logins.log
C:\testapp\logs\04-06-2014 Audits.log

There will be daily login and audit files, however, I only want to monitor the files with logins. Everything I have tried so far either forward nothing or all files! Any help much appreciated.

Last thing I tried was:

[monitor://C:\testapp\logs\[0-9-]+\sSvcLogins.log]

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

tlelle_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Have you tried just the basic :

[monitor://C:\testapp\logs\*Logins.log]

In your case, this should work.

For reference:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.5/Data/Specifyinputpathswithwildcards

View solution in original post

tlelle_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Have you tried just the basic :

[monitor://C:\testapp\logs\*Logins.log]

In your case, this should work.

For reference:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.5/Data/Specifyinputpathswithwildcards

andrefriedmann

Hi

Yes, and I was sure I had previously tried something very similar!! but that worked

Thanks for your help

0 Karma

tlelle_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Were you able to try this out?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...