Getting Data In

Using fschange to monitor files on linux server from windows splunk server

tasdienes
Engager

I have splunk running on windows. I want to monitor the /etc directory on a linux server with fschange. Is that possible?

How would I specify the path? [fschange://servername/etc] ?

How should I enable splunk (which runs under a Windows AD domain account) to read the files on the linux server? I could share them with samba, but splunk wouldn't know how to handle the login credentials...

Tags (3)
0 Karma

mzorzi
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You might want to install a light forwarder in the linux server, sending the data to the Windows Indexer.

You can even decide to use a cross filesystem solution like samba, but I believe you will encounter all sorts permissions and performance problems

tasdienes
Engager

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...