Getting Data In

Using an IP range in Inputs.conf

bongski
Engager

Hey,

I was hoping someone can clarify if an IP range to subnet can be used in Inputs.conf.

For example all hosts on

192.168.1.0/24 (192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254) go to index A.

192.168.2.0/24 (192.168.2.0-192.168.2.254) goes to index B.

I have read though the documentation but I can't seem to find anything. Also if it is possible what is the correct syntax for the file?

[tcp://192.168.1.0/24:5000]

[tcp://192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254:5000]

If I have missed something in the documentation I apologise.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

I do not believe this possible. However, you can redirect inputs to different indexes, just not with inputs.conf. Here is how:

inputs.conf

[tcp://:5000]
connection_host = ip
sourcetype = mixedinputs
index=defaultIndex

props.conf

[mixedinputs]
TRANSFORM=separate_inputs1, separate_inputs2

transforms.conf

[separate_inputs1]
SOURCE_KEY=MetaData:Host
REGEX=host::192\.168\.1\.1
DEST_KEY=_MetaData:Index
FORMAT=A

[separate_inputs2]
REGEX=host::10\.1\.\d+\.\d+
FORMAT=B

First, this assigns all inbound events from port 5000 to defaultIndex (whatever you want to call it). Then, as the data is processed, each event is examined. If the host field (ip) of an event matches the regular expression (REGEX), the event is reassigned to the index named in FORMAT.

Note that you can write the REGEX to "wildcard" the octets, but I don't now how to use CIDR notation with regular expressions.

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

I do not believe this possible. However, you can redirect inputs to different indexes, just not with inputs.conf. Here is how:

inputs.conf

[tcp://:5000]
connection_host = ip
sourcetype = mixedinputs
index=defaultIndex

props.conf

[mixedinputs]
TRANSFORM=separate_inputs1, separate_inputs2

transforms.conf

[separate_inputs1]
REGEX=host::192\.168\.1\.1
FORMAT=A

[separate_inputs2]
REGEX=host::10\.1\.\d+\.\d+
FORMAT=B

First, this assigns all inbound events from port 5000 to defaultIndex (whatever you want to call it). Then, as the data is processed, each event is examined. If the host field (ip) of an event matches the regular expression (REGEX), the event is reassigned to the index named in FORMAT.

Note that you can write the REGEX to "wildcard" the octets, but I don't now how to use CIDR notation with regular expressions.

lguinn2
Legend

Yeah, the event-by-event processing will always cost more resources than the "index the whole input stream from this port" method. There is always a trade-off 😉

0 Karma

bongski
Engager

This worked great, the solution is a bit CPU intensive but worked exactly how I needed it to.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

why not just use the index stanza in inputs.conf on the forwarder, should work as well.

0 Karma

bongski
Engager

Thanks for the tip, I will impletment it that way and let you know how I go.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...