Getting Data In

Set universal forwarder destination after startup

dadi
Path Finder

Hi,

I install Splunk Universal Forwarder on a Windows server 2008. The Splunk-Server IP is known only after startup. So i want to set the destination only after windows start, and i want to do it from non-administrator account.
I was able to do it from administrator account (run splunk, set forward-server, restart). But i cant do it from non-administrator account.

Any idea how to do it?

thanks,

Doron

Tags (1)
0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Could you not use the DNS name? /K

MarioM
Motivator

you can create/edit outputs.conf in splunk/etc/system/local,as per example:

[tcpout]

## outputs.conf additions
disabled=false
defaultGroup=indexCluster

## For load balanced Splunk Forwarding (enabled by default)
[tcpout:indexCluster]
server=1.1.1.1:9997,2.2.2.2:9997,3.3.3.3:9997
autoLB = true

## For non load balanced lightweight Splunk Forwarding (disabled by default)
#[tcpout:indexCluster]
#server=1.1.1.1:9997
0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

I assume that you are doing this in some sort of test environment, which is fine - but it is probably NOT a good idea to have your Splunk Indexer(s) on DHCP when moving into production.

0 Karma

MarioM
Motivator

unfortunately there is no magic without admin rights but as Kristian.kolb mentionned you should use DNS name which you can update with the proper ip

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

That would require a restart of the splunkd service.

0 Karma

dadi
Path Finder

thanks. i did that, but than i need to restart the service (right?), and this can't be done without administrator privilages.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...