Getting Data In

Need Help with Time Prefix and "|" character

wbfoxii
Communicator

I've got data that looks like this:

YCTC3|YCTC3|A277537|20131013|225102|316739|E|001|TP0|THPNBAV05|10.124.130.71|||||||PAR|A|0000119501|00|||

Date is the fourth column, and time is the fifth. Got any ideas about how to get TIME_PREFIX, TIME_FORMAT and MAX_TIME_LOOKAHEAD to get this right?

My latest try is:

TIME_PREFIX = ^[^|]|[^|]|[^|]*|
TIME_FORMAT = %Y%m%d|%H%M%S
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 20

Tags (2)

emiller42
Motivator

I think the only issue is your TIME_PREFIX. The regex you have only matches a single non-pipe character between each pipe. For what you have, you want:

TIME_PREFIX = ^[^\|]+\|[^\|]+\|[^\|]+\|

Then the rest should work as intended.

(Replace + with * if any of the preceeding fields might be empty. |||20131013|...)

EDIT: Also need to escape the pipes, as sowings mentioned.

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Good call, I missed the "only one char" thing.

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

| has special meaning in a regex, you'll have to escape it with a \.

TIME_PREFIX= ^[^\|]\|{3}

There are three groups of "non-pipe characters followed by a pipe".

emiller42
Motivator

I think the {3} only applies to the previous token, so you'd have to group before using it for it to apply to the whole pattern.

^(?:[^\|]+\|){3}
0 Karma

wbfoxii
Communicator

This is the one that eventually worked. I didn't test the others too hard. This one looked elegant.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...