Getting Data In

Limitation of using Forwarder license

ips_mandar
Builder

Hi
I have read splunk docs
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.0/Admin/TypesofSplunklicenses
I want to know limitation of using forwarder license on my Heavy forwarder other than it won't index any data.
so that I can decide to make it as Forwarder license for HF or make slave for enterprise license.
Thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi ips_mandar,
you can install all the Universal and Heavy Forwarders you want, there isn't any limitation.
If you want (but it isn't your case) to locally index some logs, you have to connect your HF to the License Master.
Anyway, you can connect your Heavy Forwarder as a slave without problems.
Bye.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can either use a forwarder license or make the HF a license slave. The effect is the same. Since it's not indexing any data, the HF won't use any license quota. The limitation of a forwarder license is the lack of indexing.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi ips_mandar,
you can install all the Universal and Heavy Forwarders you want, there isn't any limitation.
If you want (but it isn't your case) to locally index some logs, you have to connect your HF to the License Master.
Anyway, you can connect your Heavy Forwarder as a slave without problems.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...