Getting Data In

Is there a way to see current connections on IIS servers?

eziemer

Hello,

I am trying to create a dashboard or a search to be able to view the current connections on our IIS servers. The way I am currently doing this is by using Windows Performance monitor adding a counter for Web Service > Current Connections.

But what I am hoping to do is to consolidate this into Splunk so I can have historical data of connections as well as a way to alert via email every morning to show the current number of connections.

Some information that may help:
Currently using Splunk 6.0.3 Build 204106
IIS Servers are Windows Server 2012 R2
IIS version is IIS8
Splunk Forwarder version is 6.2.0-237341-x64

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

hagjos43
Contributor

Run this in a real time search (5 minute window or so):

sourcetype="iis" |dedup JSESSIONID| stats count(JSESSIONID)

Found here: http://gosplunk.com/real-time-iis-web-site-connections/

NOTE I'm assuming you are talking about user initiated web-sessions.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This should be faster: sourcetype="iis" | stats dc(JSESSIONID)

hagjos43
Contributor

Martin is correct! (as always) 🙂

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You will need to add this to inputs.conf on your forwarder, either locally or through a deployment server - the universal forwarder doesn't have a UI.

0 Karma

eziemer

So I have manually edited the inputs.conf file but still no luck on seeing it appear in splunk. What I added to the inputs.conf file is:

[perfmon://CurrentConnections]
interval = 60
object = Web Service
counters = Current Connections
instances = *
disabled = 0
index = perfmon
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Did you restarted the forwarder after this?

0 Karma

eziemer

Yes, I restarted the service called SplunkForwarder on the IIS server that I edited the inputs.conf file on.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You shouldn't even need to do remote monitoring as long as the UF is installed on the machine you want to monitor. Did you try out the paragraph on local monitoring?

0 Karma

eziemer

Martin,

I did read through the local monitoring but it seems to be only for the splunk server not the IIS servers I need to monitor.

So when I go to add Local Performance Monitoring I choose web services but I only see the instances on the splunk server rather then the IIS servers. Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help.

0 Karma

eziemer

Hey Martin,

I read through that but I still may be missing something, I am using the Universal forwarder and am attempting to add a remote performance monitor data input but when I put in the Host name or IP address it states that WMI is not configured correctly. I thought because I am using the universal forwarder I don't need to use WMI, am I mistaken?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...