Getting Data In

Is there a way to get a list of heavy forwarders via rest?

a212830
Champion

Hi,

Is there a way to get a list of heavy forwarders via REST? We are creating our own HFW health page, since the DMC doesn't support it.

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion
0 Karma

lycollicott
Motivator

You could try this if all of your heavies follow a consistent naming convention:
| rest splunk_server=*hf* /services/server/introspection/indexer

Or this if you define a custom group:

| rest splunk_server_group=* splunk_server_group=* /services/search/distributed/peers 
| search search_groups=dmc_customgroup_Heavy_Forwarder
| table search_groups, server_roles, host
0 Karma

coltwanger
Contributor

Do you need to use REST?

index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=tcpin_connections 
 | eval sourceHost=if(isnull(hostname), sourceHost,hostname) 
 | rename connectionType as connectType
 | eval connectType=case(fwdType=="uf","univ fwder", fwdType=="lwf", "lightwt fwder",fwdType=="full", "heavy fwder", connectType=="cooked" or connectType=="cookedSSL","Splunk fwder", connectType=="raw" or connectType=="rawSSL","legacy fwder")
 | eval version=if(isnull(version),"pre 4.2",version)
 | rename version as Ver 
 | fields connectType sourceIp sourceHost destPort kb tcp_eps tcp_Kprocessed tcp_KBps splunk_server Ver
 | eval Indexer= splunk_server
 | eval Hour=relative_time(_time,"@h")
 | stats avg(tcp_KBps) sum(tcp_eps) sum(tcp_Kprocessed) sum(kb) by Hour connectType sourceIp sourceHost destPort Indexer Ver
 | fieldformat Hour=strftime(Hour,"%x %H")

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/73908/listing-forwarders.html

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I think this might be the best answer right now since I'm not confident that the Monitoring Console's server roles are exposed for filtering...

0 Karma

lycollicott
Motivator

Change your first line to this: index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=tcpin_connections fwdType="full"

If you don't specify fwdType="full" you will get all the universal forwarders listed too.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...