Getting Data In

Index Retention by Time Only

aferone
Builder

We would like to retain data in our indexes by time only. Is this possible? I think I am doing it correctly for our internal index by using the following line, for 90 days:

frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 7776000

Is this correct, and can I use this line to retain indexes solely on time for all indexes, instead on disk size?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, this is correct. However, as a precaution I would also suggest setting maxTotalDataSizeMB to a reasonably large value so that frozenTimePeriodInSecs hits before it does.

Hope this helps.

> please upvote and accept answer if you find it useful - thanks!

View solution in original post

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, this is correct. However, as a precaution I would also suggest setting maxTotalDataSizeMB to a reasonably large value so that frozenTimePeriodInSecs hits before it does.

Hope this helps.

> please upvote and accept answer if you find it useful - thanks!

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes. Splunk will freeze data when either of maxtotaldatasizeMB or frozenTimePeriodInSecs is reached first. So, if you reach a size of 500GB (which is the defult maxtotaldatasizeMB), say, on day 61, old data will be frozen even though it's not 90 days old.

0 Karma

aferone
Builder

Thanks for answering! Can you explain the need for setting the maxtotaldatasizeMB though? Is it just as a fail safe?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...