Getting Data In

How to reduce historical data length?

echojacques
Builder

My main Splunk index is near it's max size (~500GB). Instead of filtering out more data (nullQueue) I'd like to look into the possibility of reducing the amount of historical data it stores (store 2 months of events instead of 3 months). I've heard that some people configure Splunk to keep 6 months and others keep just 1 month. Where can I check and possibly modify this?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes it' s possible to setup any bucket retention time, based on the timestamp of the events in the bucket.

check the setting frozenTimePeriodInSecs in indexes.conf (default is ~ 6 years)
see http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.4/Indexer/Configureindexstorage

View solution in original post

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes it' s possible to setup any bucket retention time, based on the timestamp of the events in the bucket.

check the setting frozenTimePeriodInSecs in indexes.conf (default is ~ 6 years)
see http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.4/Indexer/Configureindexstorage

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

well. you can just leave it as it is, and it will automatically delete the oldest buckets as needed to stay within the 500GB limit.

0 Karma

echojacques
Builder

Awesome, thanks. We index millions of events/day (and would need many, many terabytes to index over a year) so I have reduced mine from 90 days to 60 days.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...