Getting Data In

How to prevent the default logs from being forwarded (Windows UF)

xnx_1012
Explorer

Hello,

Whenever I forward something, these logs always get forwarded despite I blacklisted it in the inputs .conf. Is there any way for it to be not forwarded at all

xnx_1012_0-1630399852443.png

Inputs.conf

[WinEventLog://Security]
index = windows_test
whitelist = EventCode=%^(4634)$%
sourcetype = ad:security
disabled = 0

[monitor://$SPLUNK_HOME\var\log\splunk]
disabled = 1
blacklist = %SplunkUniversalForwarder%

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @xnx_1012,

at first if you have "disabled=1" the stanza isn't read from Splunk so the blacklist configuration isn't used.

In addition, you're speaking of Splunk logs, that are in another inputs.conf, in "SPLUNK_HOME\etc\system\default\inputs.conf".

So if you want to block these logs, copy the inputs.conf from system\default to system\local and put "disabled=1" in all stanzas of inputs.conf.

Only to understand: why do you want to block these logs?

the internal Splunk logs don't compute any license consuption and are used to monitor the Splunk infrastructure, so I'd avoid to block them because they are useful!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @xnx_1012,

at first if you have "disabled=1" the stanza isn't read from Splunk so the blacklist configuration isn't used.

In addition, you're speaking of Splunk logs, that are in another inputs.conf, in "SPLUNK_HOME\etc\system\default\inputs.conf".

So if you want to block these logs, copy the inputs.conf from system\default to system\local and put "disabled=1" in all stanzas of inputs.conf.

Only to understand: why do you want to block these logs?

the internal Splunk logs don't compute any license consuption and are used to monitor the Splunk infrastructure, so I'd avoid to block them because they are useful!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

billy
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi @gcusello 

I found this post as I am trying to solve the same issue. I followed your suggestion and copied all the monitor  stanzas from system\default\inputs.conf to my inputs file in system\local\inputs.conf; and inserted "disable = 1" to all of them. Then I restarted splunk.

However, network capture from my Splunk Server still showing all the log entries being forwarded.

Below is my inputs.conf file. Do you know what could be the issue?

Thanks, Billy.

[monitor://C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\var\log\splunk]
disabled = 1
index = _internal

[monitor://C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\var\log\watchdog\watchdog.log*]
disabled = 1
index = _internal

[monitor://C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\var\log\splunk\license_usage_summary.log]
disabled = 1
index = _telemetry

[monitor://C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\var\log\splunk\splunk_instrumentation_cloud.log*]
disabled = 1
index = _telemetry
sourcetype = splunk_cloud_telemetry

[monitor://C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\splunk.version]
disabled = 1
_TCP_ROUTING = *
index = _internal
sourcetype=splunk_version

[monitor://C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\var\log\splunk\configuration_change.log]
disabled = 1
index = _configtracker

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
renderXml = 1
whitelist = 4624, 4634
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @billy ,

at first, don't attach a new question to another one especially when closed because it's more difficoult to have an answer, it's always better to open a new question, even if with the same topic, to have a surely faster and probably better answer.

Anyway, in this way you block the Splunk monitoring and it isn't a good idea because you're blind on Splunk running.

Why do you want this?

the Splunk logs don't consume license and you can limit the storage consuption using a limited (e.g. 7 days) retention on these logs.

Anyway, are you sure that you continue to receive these logs from that Forwarder?

I say this becsue with the configuration you shared isn't possible to receive these logs from that Forwarder.

Check if the logs you're receiving have that source (the ones in the monitor stanza header) and that host (the Forwarder where you changed the configuration.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

billy
Loves-to-Learn Lots

@gcusello 

Hi Giuseppe, thanks for the guidance! As you can tell I am a newbie here 😉 

Actually I did posted a new question here https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/How-to-forward-only-Windows-events-XML-to-a-3rd-part....

I was struggling and saw your Q/A.

I understand filtering at forwarder is not a good idea.

In any case I've figured out how exactly to filter things out in Splunk Server so my 3rd party partner would get XmlWinEvtLog messages only.

Thanks again!

Billy

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...