Getting Data In

How to not display the source only as a Atmchk1a for the entire path?

abhi04
Communicator

I have source below:

/prod/app/atm/ATMCHKMI1a/logs/catalina.out
/prod/app/atm/ATMCHKMI2a/logs/catalina.out
/prod/app/atm/ATMFOTN1a/logs/catalina.out
/prod/app/atm/ATMFITNA2a/logs/catalina.out
/prod/app/atm/ATMATMASS1a/logs/catalina.out
/prod/app/atm/ATMATMASS2a/logs/catalina.out

I want the source to display only as an Atmchk1a for first and so on and not the entire path.
How to do it?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

micahkemp
Champion

I think rex with capture groups would enable you to get the name and site efficiently:

| makeresults | eval source="/prod/app/atm/ATMCHKMI1a/logs/catalina.out"
| append [| makeresults | eval source="/prod/app/atm/ATMCHKMI2a/logs/catalina.out"]
| append [| makeresults | eval source="/prod/app/atm/ATMFOTN1a/logs/catalina.out"]
| append [| makeresults | eval source="/prod/app/atm/ATMFITNA2a/logs/catalina.out"]
| append [| makeresults | eval source="/prod/app/atm/ATMATMASS1a/logs/catalina.out"]
| append [| makeresults | eval source="/prod/app/atm/ATMATMASS2a/logs/catalina.out"]

| rex field=source "^/([^/]+/){3}(?<name>[^/]+(?<site>[0-9]+)[^/]+?)/"
| eval site="site ".site
| table name site <other fields>

The regex looks for three path components before the extracted name, with site extracted as the last digits of the name.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

I think rex with capture groups would enable you to get the name and site efficiently:

| makeresults | eval source="/prod/app/atm/ATMCHKMI1a/logs/catalina.out"
| append [| makeresults | eval source="/prod/app/atm/ATMCHKMI2a/logs/catalina.out"]
| append [| makeresults | eval source="/prod/app/atm/ATMFOTN1a/logs/catalina.out"]
| append [| makeresults | eval source="/prod/app/atm/ATMFITNA2a/logs/catalina.out"]
| append [| makeresults | eval source="/prod/app/atm/ATMATMASS1a/logs/catalina.out"]
| append [| makeresults | eval source="/prod/app/atm/ATMATMASS2a/logs/catalina.out"]

| rex field=source "^/([^/]+/){3}(?<name>[^/]+(?<site>[0-9]+)[^/]+?)/"
| eval site="site ".site
| table name site <other fields>

The regex looks for three path components before the extracted name, with site extracted as the last digits of the name.

0 Karma

abhi04
Communicator

Hi Micahkemp,

It did not work,

We now have got the source as below from the full path which I wanted.
ATMatmasst1a

ATMatmasst2a

ATMatmasstportal1a

ATMcdprof1a
ATMcdprof2a
ATMchkimg1a
ATMchkimg2a
ATMchkimgclt1prod

ATMciv1a

ATMcmprspclt1prod

ATMcrdreissueclt1prod

ATMcusprof1a

ATMcusprof2a

ATMdepositjamclt1prod

ATMelgbacctflnkg1a

ATMelgbacctflnkg2a

ATMercpt1a

But now I want a table which which shows in a below manner

source site host starttime

where
ATMcusprof2a is site 2

ATMelgbacctflnkg1a is site 1

and so on.....

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

Changed it to add the word "site" to the site field, and added in a table command.

0 Karma

abhi04
Communicator

Thanks Micahkemp, appreciated your help.

0 Karma

abhi04
Communicator

HI Micahkemp,

Can you please tell me good sites from where I can learn regex?

0 Karma

Super Champion

@abhi04,
https://regexone.com/ is also good site to start regex learning

micahkemp
Champion

https://regex101.com/ is a great site to test regexes. As for learning them, I'd have to defer to google on that one, as I don't have a recommendation handy.

0 Karma

Super Champion

You can use rex in sed mode:

<base search>|rex field=source mode=sed "s/^\/[^\/]+\/[^\/]+\/[^\/]+\/(\w+).*/\1/"

OR simply use rex command:

<base search>|rex field=source "^\/[^\/]+\/[^\/]+\/[^\/]+\/(?<source>\w+)"

try this run anywhere search:

|makeresults|eval source="/prod/app/atm/ATMCHKMI1a/logs/catalina.out"|rex field=source mode=sed "s/^\/[^\/]+\/[^\/]+\/[^\/]+\/(\w+).*/\1/"
0 Karma

abhi04
Communicator

Thanks, It worked.
Also, if I want to separate into two site as well i.e. ATMCHKMI1a shows as site 1 and ATMCHKMI2a shows as site 2 and similarly for others. How to do that?

0 Karma

Super Champion

yes as @micahkemp suggested try this regex to get separate site name w.r.t. source name,

| rex field=source "^/([^/]+/){3}(?<source>[^/]+(?<site>[0-9]+)[^/]+?)/"
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...