Getting Data In

How to POST Saved Search XML/JSON Definition to REST API

RikH
Engager

I can GET the definition of a saved search (report) from our dev server with a call like

curl -k -u me:word https://splunk-for-dev:8089/serviceNS/me/my-app/saved/searches/my-report

How do I use the resulting XML/JSON to POST to our prod server? The closest that I've found is something like

curl -k -u me:word https://splunk-for-prod:8089/serviceNS/me/my-app/saved/searches \
    -d name=my-report -d search=...

But that means going through the XML/JSON and working out which are the non-default values and a whole lot of text munging. Surely there is a way that I can just post the XML/JSON that I've already got?

sdchakraborty
Contributor

Sometimes back I did like below, I basically had to write a python code to achieve this, I am posting a sample code,
Please note that its a very primitive code where exception handling is not proper and code modularise is not there. Let me briefly explain what it does,

1. I have a alert in my local called "demo"
  2. First I am getting the alert json payload using python request module (I am able to convert the cURL request to python here).
  3. Now here the drama started while I am posting it to splunk. First of all I am not able to convert the cURL post request to python, even sending the data through dictionary also not working. So I directly called cURL in python. Now the second challange was the payload. Only the content payload itself so heavy that if I pass it to curl its not able to handle. Thats why I thought I will only send those data which user is able to change from UI. Thats why key_list comes into picture. The list is not exhaustive.
  4. Now the code is pusing the "demo" alert payload to a new alert called "sid". Thats why I have changed the name(hardcoded). So in the post request we need to give the new server url.
  5. I haven't handle the scenario where if the alert exists it should update otherwise it should create a new alert. I think that should be easy to implement.

import requests as req
    import json
    import shlex
    import subprocess

def get_alert_dtl_frm_splunk(requestURL,parameters,auth):
        response=req.get(url=requestURL,params=parameters,verify=False,auth=auth)
        if response.status_code !=200:
            print('Status: ',response.status_code,'Headers: ',response.headers,'Error Response: ',response.json())
            exit()
        data=response.json()
        return json.dumps(data)

def main():
        #preparing the data for get request
        requestURL = 'https://localhost:8089/servicesNS/admin/tmdb/saved/searches/demo'
        params = (('output_mode', 'json'),)
        auth=('admin', 'monitor!')

#get the alert json from one splunk instance
        data = get_alert_dtl_frm_splunk(requestURL,params,auth)
        data = json.loads(data)
        alert_content_json = data["entry"][0]["content"]
        #print(data)

#post to splunk
        alert_content_json["name"] = "Sid"
        cmd ='curl -k -u admin:monitor! https://localhost:8089/servicesNS/admin/tmdb/saved/searches';
        cmd = cmd + " --data-urlencode name=" + alert_content_json["name"] #as first argument of curl has to be name
        key_list = ["alert.severity","alert.suppress","alert.track","alert_type","cron_schedule","is_scheduled","alert_threshold","alert_comparator","search"] #need to do this as cUrl command is not able to send the full payload
        for key in alert_content_json.keys():
            if key in key_list:
                value = str(alert_content_json[key])
                value = value.replace("\"","\"\"")
                value = value.replace("\\n","\\")
                cmd = cmd + " --data-urlencode "  + key +  '="'  + value + "\"" 
        #print(cmd)
        args = shlex.split(cmd)
        process = subprocess.call(args, shell=False, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
        stdout, stderr = process.communicate()

main()

0 Karma

nilendra19888
Explorer

@Rikh Did you got this problem solved? If yes can you please post a solution here .

0 Karma

tejureddy101

Do you know how to write an API call to get the result in UI?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...