Getting Data In

How do I search WindowsEventLog:Security to determine Parent Process of each started process?

tmsteen
Explorer

TL;DR - I want a query to search through Windows Security Event Logs (Type 4688 - A new process has been created) and return all processes along with their parent process name sorted by host. This will eventually be a dashboard for any process that violates common parent/child relationships (ie. lsass.exe started by calc.exe).

Problem:
Windows Security Event Logs do not record the name of the parent process of newly started processes (Type 4688) only the hex value of the Parent Process ID (Creator_Process_ID). But because I have these logs, I can manually use the Creator_Process_ID and find the event that has the same host and a New_Process_ID value that matches the Creator_Process_ID from the event in question.

I have created two separate queries:

• One that returns all processes along with their associated host and process ID
    index=wineventlog sourcetype=WinEventLog:Security EventCode=4688 | rename New_Process_ID as PID host as Source New_Process_Name as Process | dedup PID Source | table PID Source Process

• A second that returns all processes along with their associated Creator_Process_ID
    index=wineventlog sourcetype=WinEventLog:Security EventCode=4688 New_Process_Name=*smss.exe | table host New_Process_Name Creator_Process_ID

I now need to figure out how to map the Creator_Process_ID from the second query to the name of the process from that host/PID from the first query. I have tried some JOIN queries but am not knowledgeable enough in such things to know if that is even the right approach.

Thanks for the help.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

May be more efficient to store the results of the first query in a lookup csv and use that in your second query. I assume new processes do not get added very frequently, you could schedule the first query to run once a day (or more freq, if needed). Here's how you could do that. Once you have setup the .csv file as a lookup table & set appropriate lookup definition, run this at whatever frequency

index=wineventlog sourcetype=WinEventLog:Security EventCode=4688 | rename New_Process_ID as PID host as Source New_Process_Name as Process | dedup PID Source | fields PID Source Process | outputlookup lookupfile.csv

Once you have that (you can verify by running |inputlookup lookupfile.csv), use lookup command to get process name in second query. Like this

index=wineventlog sourcetype=WinEventLog:Security EventCode=4688 New_Process_Name=*smss.exe | lookup PID AS Creator_Process_ID OUTPUT Source | table host New_Process_Name Creator_Process_ID Source

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/SearchReference/Lookup

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

May be more efficient to store the results of the first query in a lookup csv and use that in your second query. I assume new processes do not get added very frequently, you could schedule the first query to run once a day (or more freq, if needed). Here's how you could do that. Once you have setup the .csv file as a lookup table & set appropriate lookup definition, run this at whatever frequency

index=wineventlog sourcetype=WinEventLog:Security EventCode=4688 | rename New_Process_ID as PID host as Source New_Process_Name as Process | dedup PID Source | fields PID Source Process | outputlookup lookupfile.csv

Once you have that (you can verify by running |inputlookup lookupfile.csv), use lookup command to get process name in second query. Like this

index=wineventlog sourcetype=WinEventLog:Security EventCode=4688 New_Process_Name=*smss.exe | lookup PID AS Creator_Process_ID OUTPUT Source | table host New_Process_Name Creator_Process_ID Source

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/SearchReference/Lookup

bwlm
Path Finder

Incomplete solution: Note that your "dedup PID Source" command in the first search discards multiple new process events, since the PID (Process ID) is quite frequently reused on Windows (i.e. even within 1 hour on my test system), so you are only collecting the latest Process name tied to that PID at the time of the search -- i.e. not necessarily the Process name / PID that was the "Creator_Process_ID" in your second search. Instead try "| table _time PID Source Process | sort PID - _time" or "| stats count values(Process) by PID" to see what you are discarding.

Unfortunately this rather common use case appears to be a rather complex one to solve efficiently.

Update: Just noticed that Win 10 and Server 2016 added "Creator_Process_Name" field which would help identify parent & child process in the same event, and Sysmon new process Event ID 1 also includes "ParentImage" name as well. ( ref msft ref securityaffairs ref sec:4688 ref sysmon:1)

1: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/auditing/event-4688
2: https://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/65570/hacking/powershell-attacks.html
3: https://www.ultimatewindowssecurity.com/securitylog/encyclopedia/event.aspx?eventid=4688
4: https://www.ultimatewindowssecurity.com/securitylog/encyclopedia/event.aspx?source=Sysmon&eventID=1

0 Karma

tmsteen
Explorer

Thanks for the answer. I will play around with this today.

Processes could be starting all the time, so this may not work for real time detection but should suffice for doing historical analysis.

Can I manually run the lookup whenever I want and then follow up with the second query as needed?

End goal is to turn this into a dashboard panel so ultimately I would want both queries to run on demand in some sort of automated or 'one-click' fashion.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Yes, you can manually run to generate the lookup file. The other option would be to join the two queries, but anytime you use sub-searches, the queries run longer.

0 Karma

tmsteen
Explorer

Just got it working, at least manually. Seems like it does the lookup portion separately so that part of the resulting table takes a small amount of time longer to generate but the results are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...