Getting Data In

How do I remove Security event logs as one of my data inputs

aywong
Path Finder

When I had initiall installed my forwarder I selected "security" as one of my inputs. Now I want to remove this as an input.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MHibbin
Influencer

Assuming you are talking windows here...

There will be an inputs.conf with the Splunk directory on the forwarder. This could be in a system location or an application, so either (where $SPLUNK_HOME is the Splunk installation directory (e.g. D:\Program Files\Splunk\)):

$SPLUNK_HOME\etc\system\local\inputs.conf

OR

$SPLUNK_HOME\etc\apps\<appName>\default\inputs.conf

OR

$SPLUNK_HOME\etc\apps\<appName>\local\inputs.conf

In this file (should be easy to find in windows) there will probably be something like:

[WinEventLog:Security]
disabled = 0 

There may be some extra parameters, but you will need to change the "disabled = 0" to "disabled = 1". E.g:

disabled = 1

This will disable that input, you will then need to restart Splunk on the forwarder to make sure that changes are applied.

View solution in original post

MHibbin
Influencer

Assuming you are talking windows here...

There will be an inputs.conf with the Splunk directory on the forwarder. This could be in a system location or an application, so either (where $SPLUNK_HOME is the Splunk installation directory (e.g. D:\Program Files\Splunk\)):

$SPLUNK_HOME\etc\system\local\inputs.conf

OR

$SPLUNK_HOME\etc\apps\<appName>\default\inputs.conf

OR

$SPLUNK_HOME\etc\apps\<appName>\local\inputs.conf

In this file (should be easy to find in windows) there will probably be something like:

disabled = 0 

There may be some extra parameters, but you will need to change the "disabled = 0" to "disabled = 1". E.g:

disabled = 1

This will disable that input, you will then need to restart Splunk on the forwarder to make sure that changes are applied.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...