Getting Data In

How can I mask the values for two identical keys in a multi-line event at index time?

w199284
Explorer

I have a multiline event with two identical keys that I need to mask values for, as shown below. I am NOT especially handy with regex but have manged to get one of the values, the second, masked. Has anyone out there had success masking a multiline event with multiple values like this? Thanks in advance.

2020-02-16 17:00:11,374 [INFO ] pool-1-thread-152 ServiceIdentity - null|null :
OrderNumber: 654321
Ids: 12345678 23456789 34567890
Response: False
manualCapture: False
PostResponses:
specialId: 1234567 <===(1)
relationship: null
nopp: 2
open: False
specialId: 7654321 <===(2)
relationship: null
nopp: 2
open: False

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It all depends on what you mean by mask (and I am not talking about algorithms). Let's assume that you mean to obscure it on the way in. You can do that with something like this on your indexers:

SEDCMD-obscure_specialId = s/(specialId:\s*)(\d+)/\1***/g

Let's assume that you need to MD5 it on the way in; then you will need something like cribl.

View solution in original post

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It all depends on what you mean by mask (and I am not talking about algorithms). Let's assume that you mean to obscure it on the way in. You can do that with something like this on your indexers:

SEDCMD-obscure_specialId = s/(specialId:\s*)(\d+)/\1***/g

Let's assume that you need to MD5 it on the way in; then you will need something like cribl.

w199284
Explorer

Yeah obscure. I'll give it a shot with SED. Thanks for your response!

0 Karma

w199284
Explorer

That worked. The final solution has some additional matches to account for special characters and spaces. Thank you for your response.
s/([s|S]pecial[i|I][d|D]\s*[:|=|[])\s*(\w+)/\1xxxxx/g

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use an md5 hash function to mask it like this

| eval new_field=md5(FIELD_NAME)

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DSP/1.0.0/DSPFunctionReference/Cryptographic

0 Karma

xavierashe
Contributor

What regex do you have now?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...