Getting Data In

How can I check event size?

chintan_shah
Path Finder

Hi,

Is there any way to determine which events takes a lot of storage/data? It will help me to bypass those events if required.

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey chintan_shah!

Check out the meta woot! app on splunkbase.

It provides many must have views for Splunk Admins, including a licensing data model that show you license usage per event:

alt text

This will allow you to monitor how much license a sourcetype/index are using per event.

Once you narrow it down you can then use a search like this to investigate the raw events

index=_internal sourcetype="splunkd"
| eval eventSize=len(_raw)
| table eventSize _raw
| sort - eventSize

and append | stats max(eventSize), avg(eventSize), min(eventSize) to keep some high level stats on your data.

alt text

- MattyMo
0 Karma

manish_singh_77
Builder

@mmodestino_splunk

I am trying to check the license usage consumption by event pattern and trying to create a report which would say which event patterns are consuming more license.

0 Karma

lfedak_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey @chintan_shah, did I edit your question correctly? Are you hoping to check your licensing limits? Or is this for your own storage capacity?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...