Getting Data In

Forwarder stop accepting connections

jgauthier
Contributor

This morning I opened a dashboard and was greeted with "results not found."
I thought this was peculiar, so I started doing some digging and found that the server I was forwarding from had this in its log file:
08-10-2011 09:10:49.476 -0400 INFO TailingProcessor - Could not send data to output queue (parsingQueue), retrying...
08-10-2011 09:10:53.799 -0400 INFO BatchReader - Could not send data to output queue (parsingQueue), retrying...

So, I began poking around, and could not figure out what was happening.
Finally, I started to think it was the receiver on the indexer, so I tried to hit the listening port:

jgauthier$ telnet 192.168.74.45 9997
Trying 192.168.74.45...

Nothing. I tried from another system.. nothing. Not a "Connection refused", just totally not accepting. I restarted splunkd, and everything started working.

I could not find any log files on the splunk indexer to help, because it started a few days ago and has since been scrolled from the log.

Any suggestions?

Tags (1)

Lex

I had a similar problem where the issue was that the Splunk server was running into its 1024 open file limit. I edited the /etc/security/limits.conf to allow for a 2048 softlimit and 4096 hardlimit on "nofile" and restarted. Check with ulimit -a if the new setting has indeed taken effect.

Obviously, this only applies if your receiving Splunk server is a Linux server.

0 Karma

jgauthier
Contributor

Yup. My splunk server is Windows. (latest version of both)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...