Getting Data In

Forwarder's hostname

khhenderson
Path Finder

What is the best way to change the hostname's of the forwarders (Linux)? We have change our naming convention. I changed the entry in the server.conf (serverName = $HOSTNAME), stopped splunkd and then restarted on the forwarder. I checked the "Deployment Monitor" and the newly renamed machine did not show up. The old name was still in the list. I gave it 20 minutes, no change. The "Current Status" for the old name changed to "missing". I was able to search using the new name. Can someone help with step by step procedures?

1 Solution

briang67
Communicator

Did you try changing the "host = hostname" field in the inputs.conf on the forwarder?

View solution in original post

briang67
Communicator

Did you try changing the "host = hostname" field in the inputs.conf on the forwarder?

briang67
Communicator

khhenderson
Path Finder

There is not a line in my inputs.conf for "host" on the forwarder. It only list the directories to be monitored.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...