Getting Data In

Dynamic sourcetype based on source not working

davebo1896
Communicator

I'm trying to set sourcetype based on a regex from the source path during indexing, and it is not working.
What am I doing wrong?

props.conf

[source::/var/log/docker/...]
TRANSFORMS-setsourcetype = setsourcetype

transforms.conf

[setsourcetype]
SOURCE_KEY = source
REGEX = ^\/var\/log\/docker\/[^\/]*\/([^\/]*)
FORMAT = sourcetype::$1
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The SOURCE_KEY should be MetaData:Source.

Ensure, the configurations are deployed in first full SPlunk instance (heavy forwarder OR indexer)

If it still doesn't work, try [source::/var/log/docker/*] instead of [source::/var/log/docker/...]

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The SOURCE_KEY should be MetaData:Source.

Ensure, the configurations are deployed in first full SPlunk instance (heavy forwarder OR indexer)

If it still doesn't work, try [source::/var/log/docker/*] instead of [source::/var/log/docker/...]

0 Karma

davebo1896
Communicator

I changed props to [source::/var/log/docker//] and verified it is working by adding a SEDCMD.

SOURCE_KEY = MetaData:Source is not working in transforms.conf (I think that should technically be the correct solution, though)

I'll put in a ticket with Splunk support and report back here what we find out.

0 Karma

davebo1896
Communicator

Looks like there may be stray characters on the value of source. I added global matches on either end of the source value and now it is parsing fine.

props.conf
[source::/var/log/docker//]
TRANSFORMS-setsourcetype_from_source = setsourcetype_from_source

transforms.conf:
[setsourcetype_from_source]
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
SOURCE_KEY = MetaData:Source
REGEX = .*\/var\/log\/docker\/[^\/]+\/([^\/]+).*
FORMAT = sourcetype::$1

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...