Getting Data In

Dynamic sourcetype based on source not working

davebo1896
Communicator

I'm trying to set sourcetype based on a regex from the source path during indexing, and it is not working.
What am I doing wrong?

props.conf

[source::/var/log/docker/...]
TRANSFORMS-setsourcetype = setsourcetype

transforms.conf

[setsourcetype]
SOURCE_KEY = source
REGEX = ^\/var\/log\/docker\/[^\/]*\/([^\/]*)
FORMAT = sourcetype::$1
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The SOURCE_KEY should be MetaData:Source.

Ensure, the configurations are deployed in first full SPlunk instance (heavy forwarder OR indexer)

If it still doesn't work, try [source::/var/log/docker/*] instead of [source::/var/log/docker/...]

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The SOURCE_KEY should be MetaData:Source.

Ensure, the configurations are deployed in first full SPlunk instance (heavy forwarder OR indexer)

If it still doesn't work, try [source::/var/log/docker/*] instead of [source::/var/log/docker/...]

0 Karma

davebo1896
Communicator

I changed props to [source::/var/log/docker//] and verified it is working by adding a SEDCMD.

SOURCE_KEY = MetaData:Source is not working in transforms.conf (I think that should technically be the correct solution, though)

I'll put in a ticket with Splunk support and report back here what we find out.

0 Karma

davebo1896
Communicator

Looks like there may be stray characters on the value of source. I added global matches on either end of the source value and now it is parsing fine.

props.conf
[source::/var/log/docker//]
TRANSFORMS-setsourcetype_from_source = setsourcetype_from_source

transforms.conf:
[setsourcetype_from_source]
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
SOURCE_KEY = MetaData:Source
REGEX = .*\/var\/log\/docker\/[^\/]+\/([^\/]+).*
FORMAT = sourcetype::$1

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...